Premier Sweet Roll Yarn Review

I recently had the pleasure of trying the new Premier Sweet Rolls yarn. I have had my eye on it since I saw the first advertisement, so I was excited to finally get the chance to dig my hook into it.

If you are in any crochet groups on Facebook, you have probably seen all the rage about the Caron Cakes. Some people really loved them, but other people were disappointed because they contain wool.


Well, Premier Sweet Rolls are 100% acrylic! Woohoo!


Each roll is 5oz/140g (245yds/224m), which goes a long way!


This yarn is a worsted weight (medium #4) yarn. It is a bit thicker than a typical worsted weight, so it does call for an I/9/5.5mm hook, opposed to the usual H/8/5.0mm hook. I tried it using an H hook, but it did yield a stiffer fabric, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it just wasn't working for my particular design.

This is a self striping yarn and it comes in long color changes, with three different colors in each roll. There are 25 different colorways, some are gradient colors and some are mixed.

I made this Kineo Pullover with the Premier Sweet Roll yarn in the Frosty Swirl colorway. This is a gradient colorway, with 3 shades of turquoise. It only took 1 1/2 rolls to make!


One thing I can say about the self striping portion (as with ANY self striping yarn), is you never know where the next color is going to start, so the stripes probably won't come out perfectly even. And I did notice that the lightest color has splotches of the darkest color in it. I didn't like it at first, but once I worked on it a bit, I really came to like that characteristic!


It's not an overly soft yarn, but it is softer than some of the other popular acrylics out there. It wasn't at all rough on my hands and  I really enjoyed working with it!

Best part (as I made a garment): It's machine washable and dryable!

I am definitely wanting to try more of this yarn! I am especially in love with the Blackberry Swirl (Purple & Blue mix) and Raspberry Swirl (purple & pink mix)...I just love purple, so I really have my eye on the Grape Swirl & Lavender Swirls as well, because they're both Purple gradients!

I hope you liked this review! Thank you for hooking up with me today!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,